House District 56 (Parts of Goochland, Henrico and Spotsylvania counties; all of Louisa County)
Del. John McGuire, R-Henrico
1. Roads specifically and transportation in general are in need of serious attention. What is your position on increasing the gas tax to fund improvements?
Raising the gas tax would be a mistake and a burden on many Virginians. The passage of Medicaid expansion, the second biggest increase in government spending in Virginian history, has hurt our ability to fund transportation.
2. What issues would compel you, as a member of the General Assembly, to pass legislation beyond those powers enumerated by the Virginia Constitution?
3. SOL test scores dipped this year across Virginia, including the Richmond-Petersburg region. What is your vision for improving conditions in the classroom?
As I said above, put more money in the classroom and invest in our great teachers. This will help solve our teacher retention problem.
4. By 2020, 70% of the state’s population will live in the Northern Virginia, Hampton Roads or Richmond regions. How can Virginia harness its growth going forward?
Economic development is a positive step for Virginia. By creating a more business-friendly environment and keeping taxes as low as possible, we can encourage even more growth across all of Virginia.
5. Prescription drug costs continue to rise and lack of transparency in health care costs is a growing concern. What are your proposals to keep costs in check?
Get the government out of health care and encourage free market competition, which would lower the cost of drugs and health care across Virginia.